Why am I tired in the morning even though I try to have a good sleep? If you ask yourself this question, you are among that 43% of Americans who can’t boast sleeping soundly. We are always tired in the morning because we exhaust our organism during the night time. It does not have a much-needed rest. The best piece of advice a doctor can give you is sticking to the same sleeping schedule. So wearing yourself up during the work week and then sleeping till the noon on weekends is not the best idea. But that is really hard to do. If you are tired of being sleepy in the morning and want to find a working method of waking up full of energy, these tips will come in hand.
If you find yourself awake at 2 am and can’t get back to sleep, a biphasic sleep cycle can worth trying. Basically, a biphasic sleep means that you do not sleep 7 or 8 hours without waking up but divide that time into two parts. It is up to you and your body to decide what those 2 parts will look like:
- 4.5-5 hours of sleep during the night and a 1.5-hour nap in the afternoon;
- 2-3 hours of sleep +1 hour break+3-4 hours sleep
This method can help you find an effective way of how to sleep less and have more energy. The origin of this approach to sleeping is our ancestors. They used the same sleeping pattern but not because of insomnia. There were no sources of light to make it possible to stay up late. Candles and oil lamps were too expensive. So, there was nothing to do except for sleeping after the sunset. The only thing you should keep in mind is that a biphasic sleep might not be the best option for your body. It does not work for everyone but is worth trying.
This can be another problem of getting up late and feeling sleepy. The “alarms don’t wake me up” issue is quite serious as more and more people complain about not hearing their alarm clocks. Even if there are 4 of them and they are really loud. If you know what it feels like when “my alarm doesn’t wake me up”, these tips are for you:
- Get an alarm clock for hard of hearing. If your brain does is not impressed by the loud sounds, it might respond to light and vibration.
- Drink a couple of glasses of water just before going to bed. It will be like your inner alarm clock you will not be able to ignore. Just work on the dosage to find the perfect amount of water.
- Open the blinds before going to bed. The sunlight will fill your room in the morning helping you to wake up.
- Program yourself to wake up at a specific time. You will need some time to get accustomed and train your organism. But if you succeed, you’ll be able to get up at 7 am sharp.
- Experiment with sounds and melodies for the alarm clock. Thanks to evolution, our brain is programmed to wake up every time we hear a baby crying. Try using that as your alarm clock sound.
Coffee Is Your Enemy
If you’ve ever wondered how to sleep after drinking coffee, you probably are one of the coffee addicts. they can not wake up without a cup of that delicious beverage or work properly. You got used to coffee and now it has a major impact on your sleeping pattern. If you can not imagine yourself giving up coffee just now, here’s how to fall asleep after drinking coffee:
- Drink a lot of water. It helps to neutralize the caffeine in your body. Fruits like bananas can solve the problem as well.
- Stop drinking coffee in the afternoon. Don’t let yourself enjoy a cup of hot coffee at least six hours before your bed time.
- Switch to weaker coffee.
- Remember that coffee is not the only product that contains caffeine. Minimize the consumption of soft drinks, chocolate, tea, ice cream, etc.
Short Power Nap Is Your Friend
You might have breaks between the classes. Your goal is to use that time wisely. Some read others relax listening to music. You can take a nap and bring your body the energy it needs. Go to the library and find a nice place where no one will bother you. It may not be the most comfortable way to sleep but still, helps. Here are some tips on sleeping on desk you might want to use:
- Do not use your arms as a pillow because it can damage the nerves.
- Use two towels to make yourself comfortable. Put one behind your back and the other one will be the perfect pillow.
- Lift your legs above the floor if there is something you can put them on.
- If you wonder how to sleep in a chair, our tip is to lean back and take the pressure off the lower part of your back.
- Find a couch or armchair instead as they can save you up to 50% of the time you spend on falling asleep.
If you do not have any breaks between the classes, you can find out how to sleep in class. The problem is that your teacher does not have to find out about you deciding to sleep at school. This is how to do it:
- Find the perfect spot for your plan. Your teacher should not be able to see you and there should be a friend you trust to wake you up in the case of an emergency.
- Pretend to be reading a book. Place it on your desk and shield your eyes with your arms.
- Pretend to be reading something under the desk.
- Computer class is the perfect place for taking a nap. Just pretend to be reading an important article, place your hands on the desk, one laying on the mouse and do it.
If there are some other methods having a healthy sleep you want to share with us, please do.