Selecting a topic is one of the most important aspects in dissertation writing. When done right, you will have a great time researching the issue and solving all the problems you’re going to face during this challenging process. Make a wrong choice and you will find yourself miserable and unable to deliver impressive results. Therefore, think carefully about the topic you are going to select. Here are a few tips on how to choose a research topic for PhD:
- Find a topic you are passionate about. Researching an issue you personally care about will make writing a dissertation much more enjoyable. Besides, writing a PhD thesis is a very long process, so you need to make certain that you won’t get bored of it.
- Study a couple of well-written dissertations dealing with a similar issue. This way, you will get a better understanding of what you are supposed to do as well as simply familiarize yourself with a perfectly done PhD. Apart from that, it’s a great way to learn more about different research approaches. At some point you will need to decide which research method you’re going to use, so acquiring additional information on the subject definitely helps.
- Familiarize yourself with all available resources. The more information on the topic in question you can find, the better. Besides, you need to know that you’ll have something to discuss in your dissertation before you make a choice. In other words, you should make sure that you’re going to have enough materials with the help of which you will shed light on the subject matter of your PhD.
- Think about a niche in which the results of your research can make an actual difference. Your goal is to offer something new to the field. Therefore, you should strive to come up with a topic that will help develop the field of your study as well as become useful for the next generation of researchers. Overall, the main aim is to add something new to the field.
- Ask for advice from experts. Find someone who has a PhD and encourage them to share their story with you. Apart from figuring out how to choose a research topic for PhD, you’ll also learn about tips and tricks of dissertation writing.
- Have someone review your writing. Either address this request to your PhD advisor or find someone who you trust and who has sufficient experience in the field. They will be able to guide you in the right direction in terms of choosing a perfect research topic for your PhD. What is more, they will also be able to tell whether your current research ideas are worth pursuing or not.
What is important to keep in mind is that you will feel tired of dissertation writing even when you are passionate about your research topic. The reason why it happens is simple: this process is very challenging, so it is completely normal to feel wiped out from time to time. Therefore, what matters the most is to remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Try to approach the dissertation writing process step by step. The earlier you start, the more time you will have to review and edit everything you’ve written. Don’t forget that it may get boring too, and it’s completely normal.
Choosing a research topic for PhD may be time-consuming. However, it is vital to allocate enough time on this process as making the right decision is of huge importance. Ideally, you want to find an issue you are passionate about and the research results of which will have an impact on the future of the field you work in. For this reason, make sure that you are able to provide a sufficient theoretical basis for the subject matter of your research. Writing a dissertation can be challenging. Yet, it can be exciting too. All you need to do is find a topic you are interested in.